The U-M Office of the Vice President for Research purchased a campus-wide license to SciVal, a web-based analytics tool that provides comprehensive access to the research performance of more than 14,000 research institutions and their associated researchers from 230 nations worldwide.
SciVal allows the U-M campus community to:
- Visualize research performance
- Benchmark progress
- Develop collaborative partnerships
- Analyze research trends
- Create custom reports
SciValUsing advanced data analytics and super-computer technology, SciVal can process large amounts of data to generate powerful analyses and visualizations on demand. SciVal enables users to evaluate their own, as well as their peers’ research activities from a variety of perspectives in order to help develop, execute and evaluate strategies based on reliable evidence.
The intuitive interface allows users to instantly analyze more than 50 million publication records from more than 22,000 journals of 5,000-plus publishers worldwide. With access to more than 280 trillion metric values, SciVal is able to quickly provide context to analyses and to generate powerful data visualizations to inform decision-making processes.
Source for the information below: elsevier.com/solutions/scival/features
VISUALIZE RESEARCH PERFORMANCE
Access comprehensive research performance summaries of any desired research entities, identify their unique research strengths and multidisciplinary Research Areas.
- Retrieve at-a-glance, standardized reports instantly with reporting templates, or create your own reports
- Get a high-level overview of the research performance of your institution, other institutions, countries and researchers
- Access Topic Prominence in Science overviews for research entities, such as institutions, countries and researchers
Compare the performance of institutions, countries and pre-defined groups, or create your own Research Areas and monitor progress over time.
- Perform in-depth analyses to meet your specific objectives by selecting any combination of subject areas and metrics from a comprehensive set
- Identify your relative strengths and weaknesses to inform your research planning and strategy
DEVELOP COLLABORATIVE PARTNERSHIPS
Identify and evaluate existing and potential collaboration opportunities based on publication output and citation impact.
- Explore your institution’s current and prospective partnerships via an interactive map, which starts with a worldwide view, but can then be zoomed in to individual collaborating institutions and researchers
- Identify your top collaborative institutions and co-authorships by drilling into specific subject areas, Topics of Prominence or self-defined research topics
ANALYZE RESEARCH TRENDS
Analyze the research trends of any Research Area, Topic or Topic Cluster with citation and usage data to discover key researchers, rising stars and current developments in fields of interest.
- View the overall performance of a Research Area, then dig deeper into the activity and impact of the institutions, countries, authors and journals involved and inform your research strategy accordingly
- Usage information complements citation data to give a more complete picture of research performance and activity
CREATE CUSTOM REPORTS
You can quickly utilize reporting templates for researchers, institutions and Topics to gain a balanced overview of these entities, or create analyses from across the modules, combining a selection of analyses to create uniquely tailored Reports.
- Save your most used reports in SciVal to export and share whenever you need to
- Select from a number of predefined reporting templates as a starting point
- Edit the analyses, adding and removing entities, changing the year range and/or selecting more metrics and save
- Share Reports with other SciVal users within your institution
How do I register for SciVal?
- Visit scival.com
- Click “Sign In” in the upper right corner
- At the “Welcome” page, click “You can also sign in via your institution, organization or OpenAthens”
- At the “Find your institution” page, type in your U-M email address
- Click “Sign in via your institution”