Research Development and Proposal Services
The Research Development and Proposal Services team at the University of Michigan strives to connect researchers to resources and increase its investigators’ competitiveness in obtaining extramural research funding. Its activities include coordinating internal funding programs, matching faculty to funding opportunities, offering workshops for skill-building, developing online resources and facilitating interdisciplinary collaborations.
Contact the OVPR Research Development and Proposal Services Team
Jill Jividen, Director of Research Development
Stephen Alvey, Graphics Specialist
Tricia Ebright, OVPR Grants and Awards Manager
Kelsey Ebbs, Project Manager, Bold Challenges
Sean O’Connor, Project Manager, Bold Challenges
- U-M Internal Funding: Explore campuswide funding programs that are currently open on Research Commons.
- Limited Submissions: For a comprehensive list of limited funding opportunities currently open, visit the Limited Submissions website. To stay informed of these opportunities, please sign up for our bi-monthly Research Blueprint newsletter (sign up here).
- External Funding: For assistance seeking external opportunities, including federal and private funding, explore the U-M Library’s Research Funding & Grants Guide.
- Research Catalyst & Innovation (RCI) Program: The RD team administers OVPR’s RCI funding program and, in collaboration with our RD colleagues across U-M, provides services to support funding consultations, proposal development, project management, ideation sessions and strategic planning that is required for RCI awardees. Contact the UMOR RD team (UMOR-RDteam@umich.edu) for more information.
- Proposal Management: The RD team offers project management for large-scale grant proposals, including development of task lists and timelines, coordination among team members, outreach to stakeholders, drafting supporting documents and letters, and tracking proposal development progress.
- Graphics Services: Our graphics designer will work with investigators to develop clear, compelling figures, charts and illustrations to enhance research grant proposals. Requests must be made at least six weeks prior to sponsor deadline. Priority will be given to multidisciplinary proposals.
- Proposal Editing:
- RDPS: Free editing services on final proposal drafts, including review of style, organization, logic, clarity, consistency and alignment with sponsor guidelines.
- MICHR: The Michigan Institute for Clinical & Health Research (MICHR) has a full-time proposal editor on staff
- See FAQs below for a list of RD staff within campus units
- List of freelance editors
- Proposal Samples: Review examples of successfully funded proposals donated by U-M faculty.
- UMOR’s Proposal Library: A diverse range of federal and private funders
UMMS Proposal Sampler: Federal and foundation sponsors. This resource is available to Michigan Medicine faculty and staff; questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Other Resources:
- InfoReady Review: This online application system allows easy workflow of submission and review processes. If you’re interested in using InfoReady Review in your unit, please contact Tricia Ebright (email@example.com.)
- Our RDPS team is available for a variety of informational and skill-building workshops or webinars, which can be tailored for your unit. Topics include:
- Writing a Competitive Research Grant Proposal
- Navigating U-M’s Research Resources
- Finding Funding and/or Assessing Sponsors
- NIH’s Rigor & Reproducibility Standards
- Writing in Plain Language
- Communicating the Impact & Value of Science to Broad Audiences
- Grantsmanship 101 Webinar Series:
- Understanding Funding & Funders
- Understanding the Review Process
- Planning a Competitive Proposal
- Federal Funding for Arts & Humanities
- Other recorded workshops:
- Finding Funding: Identifying Opportunities & Scoping the Grants Landscape
- U-M Resources for Planning Broader Impacts
- Working with Sponsors on Research Affected by COVID-19
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or to schedule a workshop or brown bag event for your unit.
- The RD team can design and facilitate sessions for your research teams, at any stage of idea development. Whether for long-term strategic planning for your team/unit, early-stage planning for a large-scale initiative, or a response to a specific funding opportunity, we will tailor sessions for your needs to surface the most innovative ideas, focus research questions or create action plans.
- Ideation: for large groups or small; we can guide brainstorming and team formation around broad themes early in the research development process
- Proposal design: for interdisciplinary teams working toward a specific funding opportunity; let us help your team develop a shared vision, craft innovative research questions and outline a competitive grant proposal.
- Strategic planning: for teams or units; we can help your team members identify goals, prioritize milestones and develop a plan for successful implementation
- Email email@example.com for more information, or to schedule a facilitated session for your unit.
A full-time graphics designer is available to support research grant proposals in any field. Please submit your request at least 6 weeks in advance of the sponsor deadline.
Who do I contact from the central U-M units as it pertains to research development?
- Foundation Relations: Maureen Martin, Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Institute for Social Research (ISR): Jeannette Jackson, MBA, Managing Director, BioSocial Methods Collaborative: email@example.com
- Institute for Research on Women & Gender (IRWG): Rebecca Irvine, Program Director for Faculty Research Development: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michigan Institute for Clinical & Health Research (MICHR): Beth LaPensee, PhD, Administrative Program Director, Research Initiatives: email@example.com
- Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR): Jill Jividen, PhD, Director of Research Development: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Taubman Health Sciences Library: Judy Smith, Informationist: email@example.com
- UM-Dearborn: Vess Clarke, Asst. Director of RD (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- UM-Flint: Ken Sylvester, Director, Office of Research and Sponsored Programs: email@example.com
Who do I contact from the academic U-M units as it pertains to research development?
- College of Engineering: Richard Vanden Heuvel, Director, Research Development: firstname.lastname@example.org
- College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA): Anne Thomson, Director of Research & Compliance: email@example.com; Allison McElroy, Assoc. Director of Foundation Relations: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michigan Medicine: Gina Stouffer, Research Development Specialist: email@example.com; Joe Piffaretti, Senior Director, Corporate and Foundation Relations: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ross School of Business: Jennifer Huntington, Research Administrator: email@example.com
- School of Education: Stephanie Hensel, Research Development Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Environment and Sustainability (SEAS): Teresa Herrick, Research Process Manager: email@example.com
- School of Information: Jocelyn Webber, Research Development Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Kinesiology: Elizbeth Tropiano, Research Process Manager: email@example.com
- School of Dentistry: Patrick Lagua, Research Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- College of Pharmacy: Janet Mitchell: email@example.com
- Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning: Gabriel Harp, Director of Research and Creative Practice: firstname.lastname@example.org