You are here
BICI has committed a minimum of $1 million USD per year for five years to sponsor research and translational research at U-M. The goal of this program is to support research and discoveries that address societal needs and priority areas of economy development in different industrial sectors. BICI has agreed to fund U-M research and translational research in a broad range of areas including:
- Engineering, health, science and environmental technologies.
- Energy materials, water treament, electronics surgical robots and rehab robots, medical devices and precision medicine.
- Projects will be screened to ensure compliance with U.S. export controls and other regulations.
The ultimate goal is to develop innovative technologies and commercial products. Examples of desirable outcomes include innovative technologies, inventions, patents, commercial partnerships, start-up companies and follow-on funding targeted toward these same outcomes.
Only permanent, full-time faculty in the professorial ranks (assistant, associate, full, or research) from all relevant colleges and schools may apply. Eligibility also requires a commitment to pursuing potential commercialization-related milestones and collaborating with the U-M-BICI Partnership Program Director and Manager to pursue milestones and follow-on funding to translate technologies into new products.
The research must relate directly to the areas listed above. Each proposal will be evaluated on the basis of scientific merit, potential impact and significance, and the potential for commercialization.
- One-page Pre-Proposal (to be considered for full proposal submission)
- Applications and Instructions (for invited full proposals)
- Full compiled Funding Submission Packets must be submitted as a pdf document that includes the Proposal, Budget, References/Literature cited, and faculty PI NIH-style biosketches. Full proposal submission is by invitation only.
- Proposal and budget spreadsheet
It is strongly suggested that applicants discuss their proposal with the U-M-BICI Partnership Managing Director, Tiefei Dong (firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-763-5332) before submission. One-page pre-proposals will be accepted on a rolling basis and full proposal submission will be accepted by invitation only.
Proposals will be reviewed internally through the Export Control office and an ad hoc review committee, and selected proposals then will be reviewed by a BICI expert panel. Final decision on projects to be funded will be made by the Oversight Committee. Award recipients will be required to prepare quarterly reports and attend operating reviews.
Applicants invited to submit a full proposal must follow the format provided in the application packet and adhere to the page limits. The cover page will need to include the approval/signature of the department chair and can be scanned and submitted as part of your proposal.
The funding proposal must include descriptions of the following:
- Cover page (Template)
- Significance and Purpose of the Project
- Project Objectives and Tasks
- Project Deliverables and Outcomes
- Market Demand and Analysis
- Technology Advantages
- Current Research Stages
- Research Approaches
- Project Milestones
- Key Personnel (NIH Biosketch)
- Budgets (Template)
Funds may be used for salary support of faculty, graduate students and tuition, as well as other research staff, but may not be used for general staff or administrative support. Operating supplies, minor equipment items, prototyping expenses, imaging time and travel directly associated with the research activity are examples of eligible budget items. Grant budget will be depended on the need of the project, and may be eligible for renewal. Requests for larger amounts should be discussed with program manger before submission.