Resources for ARPA-H Applications
The newly launched Advanced Research Projects Agency for Health (ARPA-H) supports transformative research to drive biomedical and health breakthroughs – ranging from molecular to societal – to provide transformative health solutions for all. A new component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, ARPA-H is authorized with a budget of $1 billion for Fiscal Year 2023.
ARPA-H works to advance high-potential, high-impact biomedical and health research that cannot be readily accomplished through traditional research or commercial activity.
This new agency released its first Broad Agency Announcement (request for proposals) on March 15, 2023. The proposal process differs from that typically utilized by the National Institutes of Health or other federal agencies and includes two phases: a 3-page abstract followed by a full proposal (if invited).
Support for U-M researchers
The Office of the Vice President for Research is working to aggregate and develop new resources to support teams from across the University of Michigan in their pursuit of ARPA-H funding by:
- Disseminating timely information on ARPA-H opportunities
- Providing resources to support faculty in developing successful applications to ARPA-H
- Identifying program manager candidates from within the U-M research community
- Creating a network of faculty interested in ARPA-H funding
OVPR has recruited U-M faculty with strong track records of DARPA support and mentors-in-residence from Innovation Partnerships to serve as peer coaches for researchers seeking ARPA-H funding. There are two coaching options available, and U-M researchers able to apply for one or both:
- One-on-One Coaching
Coaches will provide ARPA-H applicants with guidance on developing and refining their application. Potential applicants are expected to submit to ARPA-H within six months of receiving coaching.
- Workshop Coaching
Faculty who are interested in ARPA-H funding will have an opportunity to learn more about the ARPA-H proposal format. The workshop session will begin with a didactic session on how to develop a research idea in the framework of the ARPA-(H)eilmeir Questions, followed by small group interactive sessions with coaches to start adapting their own research ideas to this format.
- Register for the session on June 14 and bring your ideas.
- January 3 Research Seminar: Prepare to write successful new ARPA-H grants (jointly sponsored by the U-M College of Pharmacy and OVPR)
- February 16 OVPR Information Session about ARPA-H
- March 16 OVPR Information Session about ARPA-H
- ARPA-H Website
- ARPA-H FAQs
If you are interested in learning more about ARPA-H, please sign up for the OVPR ARPA-H Listserv.
If you are seeking assistance on an application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.