The program is designed for faculty who are interested in integrating public engagement more fully into their scholarly identity and work. All levels of experience, as well as interests in any form of public engagement, are welcome.
University of Michigan faculty from all three campuses and all schools and colleges are encouraged to apply to the Public Engagement Faculty Fellowship—including tenured and tenure-track faculty, research faculty, curatorial faculty, librarians, lecturers, and clinical faculty.
Please note: All LEO Lecturers are eligible to participate in the Studio Experience. Lecturers IV are eligible for Phase 2: Project Support with permission and a verification letter from their home unit. Please contact email@example.com with questions about eligibility.
There are two tracks to participating in the Public Engagement Faculty Fellowship: as a Fellow or as a Mentor Fellow.
Faculty who are interested in significant learning or experimentation, with the goal of exploring different forms of engaged work in order to try something new in their practice.
- Receive $1500 as discretionary research funds for successfully completing the Studio Experience
- Are eligible to apply for up to $10,000 and in-kind support during Phase 2
Faculty who have deep experience with public engagement and are interested in sharing how their engaged practice has shaped their scholarly identity.
- Help shape the learning community of the Studio Experience with structured activities and opportunities to mentor the Fellows
- Receive $2000 as discretionary research funds for successfully completing the Studio Experience
- Are not eligible to propose a project during Phase 2
2023 Application & Selection Timeline
- Applications open: Monday, October 10, 2022
- Applications close: Thursday, December 1, 2022
- Invited group conversations for finalists: January 31 – February 10, 2023
- Cohort Notified: late February 2023
- Hybrid Studio Experience: May 15 – June 15, 2023
Applications for the next year’s cohort generally open in the fall