Distinguished University Innovator Award
This award is sponsored by the U-M Office of Research.
A member of the tenure/tenure track or research faculty, or a team of up to three (3) individuals led by such faculty member.
Honorarium of $5,000 to the individual winner or shared by the team winners. The recipient is invited to deliver a lecture on a topic related to his or her accomplishments in innovation. The U-M Office of Research sponsors the award.
The Distinguished University Innovator(s) will have accomplished one or more of the following:
- Developed a breakthrough technology and demonstrated its transformational potential relative to an otherwise conventionally accepted practice or market;
- Taken a significant innovation developed in the University through to market-readiness, either through partnership with a commercial enterprise, or by starting a company;
- Demonstrated a new method or means for moving innovations from the University into the private sector through the establishment of partnerships or other relationships that promote the strategic or economic position of the region, state or nation.
Any member of the UM community may submit a nomination. In the Nomination Packet, include:
- Nomination Questionnaire [pdf]
- A one-page description describing actions by nominated individual or team to promote innovations, technologies or activities to support innovation;
- Nominee CV;
- Three letters of support, from a range of constituents to demonstrate the depth and breadth of the individual’s impact on innovation.
Nominations are due by December 5, 2014. Please forward each nomination as a PDF to Lisa Turek at firstname.lastname@example.org, as well as one paper copy to:
U-M Office of Research
4080 Fleming 1340
By consensus of the membership of the U-M Office of Research Awards Committee appointed by the Vice President for Research, and with concurrence of the Vice President for Research.
Announcement of Award
Recipient(s) will be announced in February, 2015. The award winner’s lecture and reception will he held in spring 2015.
Points to consider in support of nomination
This award is open to tenure/tenure track or research faculty, or a team of up to three (3) tenure/tenure track or research faculty members among all UM campuses, schools, colleges and units.
Questions? Contact UMOR at 734-763-1290.