Research Faculty Awards
Nominations for the 2013 Research Faculty Awards now open!
Submission deadline is February 22, 2013.
Three awards have been established by the Office of the Vice President for Research to recognize excellence among our Research Faculty.
Collegiate Research Professorship — designed to recognize exceptional scholarly achievement and impact on advancing knowledge in science, engineering, health, education, the arts, the humanities or other academic field of study. Exceptional ability to convey the excitement and significance of scholarship and creative activities to the educated public. The Collegiate Research Professorship is a named award and carries an annual stipend of $2,000 for the initial five-year term.
- Eligibility: Research Full Professor at the University of Michigan with at least a 75% appointment. Tenured and tenure-track faculty are not eligible for this award. Note: Individuals still within the award term of a previous Collegiate Research Professorship or Distinguished Research Scientist Award are not eligible.
- Guidelines for the Collegiate Research Professorship
Research Faculty Achievement Award — designed to recognize outstanding scholarly achievements, as represented by significant contributions to an academic field of study over time, a specific outstanding discovery, or the development of innovative technology.
- Eligibility: UM faculty with at least a 75% University appointment at the rank of Research Associate Professor, Research Scientist or Associate Research Scientist. Tenured and tenure-track faculty are ineligible for this award.
- Guidelines for the Research Faculty Achievement Award
Research Faculty Recognition Award — designed to recognize exceptional scholarly achievements, as evidenced by publications and/or other scholarly activities in any academic field of study.
- Eligibility: UM faculty with at least a 75% University appointment at the rank of Research Assistant Professor or Assistant Research Scientist. Tenured and tenure-track faculty are ineligible for this award.
- Guidelines for the Research Faculty Recognition Award
Awardees will have prominently displayed announcements and profiles of their careers and work in a fall issue of the University Record. The awards are conferred at the annual Faculty Awards Ceremony and dinner hosted by the President each fall.
The Research Faculty Awards Committee will evaluate nominations and recommend winners to the Vice President for Research.
To nominate an individual for one of these awards, read the guidelines, complete the nomination questionnaire located on the guideline page, and return it with other nomination materials to OVPR. Submission details are in the Guidelines for each award and on the nominating questionnaire.
The deadline for submitting nomination packets for the 2013 awards is February 22, 2013.
For more information about the Research Faculty Awards, please contact OVPR at 763-1290.
2012 Research Faculty Award Recipients
Research Faculty Achievement Awards
• Mary Beth Ofstedal, associate research scientist, Population Studies Center, associate research scientist, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
• Mei-Chuan (Holden) Ko, research associate professor, Department of Pharmacology, Medical School
Research Faculty Recognition Awards
• Michael Bailey, associate research professor and adjunct lecturer, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department, CoE
Collegiate Research Professorship Award