You are here
The process of finding funding is incumbent upon the research investigator and research administration team. Your first point-of-contact should be your department research administrator (RA). Not sure who that is? You can find your department RA in the Blue Pages.
This page provides information on internal sources of support as well as external sponsors of research and activities that your project team can consider.
Internal U-M Funding Sources
Learn more about internal funding resources from the U-M Office of Research (UMOR) and U-M, including:
- U-M Library Funding Opportunities Portal
- Faculty Grants & Awards - support for research, scholarship, and creative activities in all fields.
- Cost Sharing - funds available to enable U-M faculty to gain access to support from external sponsors that require University cost sharing beyond the level that can be provided by the principal investigator's academic unit.
- MCubed - distributes real-time seed funding to multi-unit teams of faculty engaged in innovative research and scholarship, enabling them to keep pace with the rapid information flow of today’s dynamic research environment.
- Social Sciences Annual Institute - support innovative new directions in the social sciences that cut across traditional disciplinary boundaries.
UMOR also provides internal non-award funds for extended sick time pay and leave for employees paid from sponsored funds. While these funds are not award-based you may find a need for them when Managing your Research Project.
External Funding Sources
- Business Engagement Center - If you're working with a sponsor from the corporate or industry sector, contact BEC.
- Foundation Relations - Find out if the Foundation from which you want funding is managed and learn now to work with them.
- Guidance on Finding External Funding - Excellent resources for finding external funding.
- Limited Submissions - Find out if the funding opportunity you seek is Limited (only one allowed per institution) and what is required by that sponsor and by U-M.
References and Resources
For questions on Limited Submissions, contact Tricia McCain Ebright, (firstname.lastname@example.org) at (734) 936-3933.
For questions on Faculty Grants and Awards, contact Tracey Naylor (email@example.com) at (734) 763-2080.
For questions on working with private sponsors from Industry, contact the Business Engagement Center.
For questions on working with Foundations, contact Foundation Relations.